15 August 2010

Slashdot | How Do You Organize Your Experimental Data?

This is interesting. I just "organize" and label queries, etc. by how it is sorted when opened. Tables get a descriptive name. Individual files are stored in folders with descriptive titles, graduating to a big folder for the project.

Slashdot | How Do You Organize Your Experimental Data?:
'As a researcher in the physical sciences, I have generated thousands of experimental datasets that need to be sorted and organized — a problem which many of you have had to deal with as well, no doubt. I've sorted my data with an elaborate system of directories and symbolic links to directories that sort my data by sample, pH, experimental type, and other qualifiers, but I've found that through the years, I've needed to move, rename, and reorganize these directories and links, which have left me with thousands of dangling links and a heterogeneous naming scheme. What have you done to organize, tag and add metadata to your data, and how have you dealt with redirecting thousands of symbolic links at a time?'
Series tie-in: Suki is a robotics theory researcher in the original Suki series.

ORDER SUKI SERIES eBOOKS AND PAPERBACKS
Suki BackgroundSuki Series TechOrder the paperback edition of Suki V: The CollectionBrowse the series on Google: Suki I, Suki II, Suki III, Suki IV, Suki VFan Fiction: John and Suki: Vacation Fun

John and Suki's news and comment area, from a Libertarian perspective.
Copyright 2009, 2010, SJE Enterprises, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment